Can in-game Graphic Design and 2D Art drive the visual style, or motif, of a game environment?
What? – Create a 3D environment for games and have the scene heavily decorated with 2D art and graphic design (billboards, posters, signs etc)
Where? – Urban, small city street corner with shopfronts and billboards. Architecture: Historical but generic – could suit any time period.
When? – Current verging on near-future; technology is slightly more advanced and street advertisements are more ubiquitous. More neon and TV screens.
Why? – Investigate impact of in-game 2D art can have on informing the narrative and how it helps give the enclosed environment a sense of being one part of a wider world.
Within a small street-corner environment, what 2D art would we see?
- Billboards – Small ‘bus stop’ size & larger work seen from a distance.
- Shop signage – hanging signs and windows.
- Street level advertising – chalkboards, flyers, ‘guerrilla marketing’
- TV screens, large and small. Moving billboards.
- Street signs & road markings.
Stuff I need to look into:
- Advertising design for billboards, posters and web.
- News and live-feeds in urban spaces.
- Graffiti and street art.
- Street/road signage and logography (optional, could just use existing British format)
Other stuff I need to do:
- 3D environment art (urban setting)
- Environment layout.
Games, Film and Animations to look at:
Overwatch, Dishonoured, Fallout, Bioshock, The Illusionist, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Space Dandy, Man in the High Castle….
Across Disciplines: Literature and Graphic Design By Melissa Plourde Khoury and Tarek E. Khoury. Published by The Design Collection
Graphic Design in Urban Environments By Robert Harland – Oct 2016 – Bloomsbury Academic, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, London – ISBN 978-1-4725-9774-8
Advertising Design and Typography By Alex W. White – Allworth Press; Reprint edition (September 1, 2015) ISBN-13: 978-1621534815
Globalisation and Advertising in Emerging Economies: Brazil, Russia, India and China by Lynne Ciochetto – 2011 – Routledge – New York
Meggs’ History of Graphic Design By Philip B. Meggs, Alston W. Purvis – 2016 – John Wiley & Sons Inc. Hoboken, New Jersey
Anatomy of a Typeface By Alexander S. Lawson – 1990 – David R Godine, Publisher Inc. Jaffrey, New Hampshire
The Visual Culture Reader edited by Nicholas Mirzoeff – 1998 – Routledge, London and New York
The Media City: Media, Architecture and Urban Space By Scott McQuire
The Semiotics of Emoji: The Rise of Visual Language in the Age of the Internet By Marcel Danesi –
Design Graphique Au 21e Siécle By Charlotte Fiell, Peter Fiell
Street Marketing: The Future of Guerrilla Marketing and Buzz By Marcel Saucet – 2015 – Praeger – California
E-Books: Further Reading
Website, Web article and Image References:
- Advertising Design and Typography – Alex W. White
- The Poster: Art Advertising, Design and Collecting – Ruth E. Iskin
- Advertising and Public Memory: Social, Cultural and Historical Perspectives – Stephan Schutt et al
- Graphic Design: New History 2nd Edition – Stephen Eskilson
- Advertising and Design: Interdisiplinary Perspectives on a Cultural Field – Beate Flath et al.
- Archetypes in Branding: A toolkit for Creatives and Strategists – Margaret Hartwell
- A branded World: Adventures in Public Relations and the Creation of Superbrands – Michael Levine
- How Brands become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding – DB Holt
- The Human Brand: How We relate to People, Products and Companies – Chris Malone
- The Making of Modern Advertising – Daniel Pope
- Captains of Consciousness Advertising and the Social Roots of the Consumer Culture – Stuart Ewen
- The Technique of Advertising Production by Thomas Blaine Stanley
- The Language of the Walls by James Dawson Burn
- The Shocking History of Advertising by ES Turner
- Brought to you By: Postward Television Advertising and the American Dream by Lawrence R Samuel
- Layout in Advertising by William Adamson Dwiggins
- Urban Codes//Parallel Worlds by Troy Innocent, Indae Hwang
- Branding in Fictional and Virtual Environments: Introducing a new conceptual domain and research agenda by Laurent Muzellec et al
- Transmedia Storytelling: Implicit Consumers, Narrative Worlds and Branding in Contemporary Media Production by Carlos Alberto
- Next Level Branding: Digital Brand Fit in Video Game Design by Jasper Wuts et al
- The Effectiveness of Product Placement in Video Games by Zachary Glass
- Advertising in Rural India: Language, Marketing Communication and consumerism by Bhatia Tej K
- Subculture the Meaning of Style – Hebdige